4.28.2007

Young Punks #1

The other day I went to Esprit Outlet at IMM Jurong East. I love to go there because things there are so cheap. You can call me cheapo and I wouldn’t mind.

What happened was that at the time of check out, I was queuing at the cashier. In front of me there was this couple, a guy and a girl probably in their mid-20. They bought a pair of eye shadow pots, a pair of nail polish, and a black polo tee. The girl took out a $50 Esprit voucher from her Coach small wallet. I saw both of them were looking at the fine prints at the back of it and finally handed it over to the girls at the counter. As everyone would know, usually this kind of voucher cannot be used with items on sales, or any other promotions. Apparently this couple is probably so ignorant. It was so obvious!

Then, one of the girls at the counter also read the fine prints and finally told them that they could not use the voucher as it was considered a sales event at that outlet. Mind you, nail polishes and eye shadows are those “buy 1 get 1 free” types. Eventually upon realizing that they really couldn’t make use of that $50 voucher, they decided to drop that black polo tee and took only eye shadows and nail polishes. The guy was paying, of course, by cash. It cost $30 in total. Somehow my eyes were quick to see that the polo tee cost only $15.90.

What irked me the most was that she obviously can afford a $600 Coach bag but was very reluctant just to spend $15 on a polo tee which they initially wanted. I think they are those cheapo types of people that only wanting to buy when they have that voucher. I am not saying that they were wrong in doing that, but if I were them I wouldn’t get even a single nail polish. It is like you dare to pick the items but when such thing happens you dare not put down all items you just get. Scare to lose face I bet. Cheapo aside, Terence said that anyone can own such a bag, but it depends. Some people spend 10% of their salary on the bag, some 50%, and some, all. Talking about paying by cash, we also saw that he has a credit card and I was wondering why he did not use it to pay. I and Terence came to a conclusion that he must have swiped it already too much for this month, and might already have exceeded the credit given. Oh duh.

There was another guy I know. His salary is quite alright, that is his take-home after CPF is around $2.3K. I heard that one of his new year (not sure which year) resolution was to save $2K for that year. I got a shock of my life. Last time my pay was $2K and after deducting rent, food, transportation, and miscellaneous shopping, I have around $1K left. I think I could have completed his new year resolution in 2 months time. Also, this very same guy has been working for quite some time. The funny thing is that there was once, he needed to borrow some money from my friend (who was still studying and had no income at that time) for emergency. How ridiculous can these people be? They spend beyond their means and in the end need to ask for help from other people.

The best spender award shall go to Mr. K. Let me tell you why he deserves the award. He just started working last October as god knows what position. His salary is around $1.8K so his take-home pay should be $1.4K at most. Recently he just got himself the Oakley spectacles which cost $400. The best part is that he has perfect eyesight. I was very puzzled by his ability to spend money like pouring water. Maybe he has some good reason, my friend suggested that it might be that Mr. K wanted other people to look at him as an intelligent guy that’s why he decided to put on a pair of (Oakley) spectacles. Hello, I have been wearing spectacles since primary 1 and I’m super sick of it. It is ok if people might not see me so intelligent as him. I’m vain. Thank you.

No comments: